Gujarati pulav is a very famous dish served during lunch with gujarati kadhi. Its a no onion garlic pulav. Its very rich because it includes ghee, cashew nuts and raisins. Its is a blend of sweet and spicy flavors.
A pulav can be made in three different ways. You can make this pulav in pressure cooker. For making gujarati pulav in pressure cooker, to 1 cup of rice add 2 cups of water for 3 whistles. Or you can make pulav in this a pot like I usually prefer making jeera rice . Where I first season the rice and allow it to cook slowly in a pot. Generally for any pulav recipes like gujarati pulav or tava pulav I prefer first boiling the rice and then season it with spices and dry-fruits.
Tips for making a perfect gujarati pulav
- Always use good quality basmati rice to make any rice dish, for better taste and looks.
- Soaking the rice for sometime, gives longer and softer grains. It also reduces cooking time.
- You can add other vegetables like capsicum, cauliflower, french beans, sweet corn etc.
- Adding ghee makes the pulav rich. However you can replace ghee with oil.
- I have used ready made MDH pulav masala. But if you prefer you can make fresh pulav masala at home. Grind cinnamon stick-1/4th inch stick, pepper corns-1/4th tablespoon, green cardamom-2 pieces, cloves 3 pieces, star anise-small piece to a coarse mixture, your home made pulav masala is ready.